How to Motivate Your Employees in Times of Hardship
Apart from money, which is believed to be the best motivator for employees, there are a lot of other methods a successful and experienced manager can use to motivate his team. Furthermore, some accomplished and successful leaders will tell you that certain non-cash approaches are even more effective than money stimulations when thinking in the long run. Here are a couple of tips which will give you an idea how to motivate employees at work during tough times:
• Be an energetic leader and bring positive energy to the work place. Your employees work hard to make your whole team and company succeed and you as the leader should be the one that motivates them and brings the positive energy to the team. It is important to keep your worries and feelings out of the way because your stress and problems can cause your team members to panic. Knowing how to motivate an employee is a characteristic of a strong leader so do your best to display that trait of yours.
• Recognize and reward hard workers. There are a lot of ways to praise the hardest working employees in your team and very often they cost nothing except a few minutes of your time. Send occasional emails to those employees or take a few minutes of their time during breaks or meetings to share your appreciative note with them. Honor your best employees by having them in the spotlight for some time thus showing to the rest of the team that hard work pays off. Sometimes even a simple pat on the back goes a long way.
• Always keep your door open and be a good listener. When the tough times come, which is sometimes inevitable, and your team gets all nervous, it is your responsibility to keep your employees focused and motivated. Keep your office door open for them and always dedicate some time for each of your team members to address their issues and concerns. Keep in mind that everybody handles stress in different ways, so get to know your employees the best way you can. It will help you manage both your team and stress in a proper manner.
• Put your employees first and help them fulfill their career goals. In order achieve success in business you must have a good team behind you. Hiring and managing the right people is one of the highest priorities in any type of business. They are your engine that will take you to the path of success. So, whenever you can, dedicate some time to hear about your workers’ career goals. Be open and honest and tell them your opinion directly. Let them know that you will help them reach their career goals whenever that is realistically possible. They will appreciate you more and they will work harder knowing there is a real chance of career progress and professional improvement.
• Set long term plans and goals to your team members. It will give them confidence and validation that they have some future in your company. Help them build their confidence in order for them to feel more enthusiastic while performing their tasks. Happy and satisfied employees will achieve far better work results than the unhappy ones. Plan ahead and involve them in your strategies whenever possible.
Keep your team motivated and show them their hard work is appreciated through the times of hardship. Those that start feeling unappreciated will start polishing their resumes sooner or later preparing themselves for new companies and new opportunities. Build your employees’ loyalty by setting a personal example of work ethics and hard working. Don’t hesitate to show your best employees you value their efforts and exceptional work and they will stay around for a long time. Knowing how to motivate employees at work in difficult times is a trait of successful leaders and incorporating the tips listed above will make you one.